March 20, 2020
The outbreak of the Coronavirus, COVID-19 is of concern to everyone and our thoughts go out to those who have been impacted by it. We are committed to your health and safety as the virus continues to spread. We are monitoring the CDC and State Health websites and taking necessary precautions.
At the Center for Speech Language and Hearing, we have taken the following precautions:
- To protect patients and staff, we will be closing the Center for all except urgent care needs until April 13. At that time, we will reassess guidelines from community leadership and the CDC to determine if we need to stay partially closed longer.
- All current appointments are cancelled until we return.
- We will reach out to re-schedule appointments after we return to regular hours.
- We do, however, want to make sure any urgent care needs are taken care of.
- We will take care of all urgent needs one day a week (Wednesdays). These may be things such as a Broken Hearing Aid, Sudden Loss of Hearing, and Fitting Hearing Aids that we have received already).
- An appointment is required for urgent need care.
- If you have an urgent need, please call our center at (505) 247-4224 to schedule an urgent appointment.
- When you call, we will work with you to assess the urgency of the need and to schedule an appointment if needed.
- Appointments scheduled during the one day urgent care will be spaced out to comply with safe distancing requirements.
- We will have limited staff available during the urgent care days.
- Should you be scheduled for an urgent care appointment, please limit the number of any family or friends you bring with you to only those you absolutely need to bring along.
- Speech Therapy patients will receive homework packets that they can work on while we are closed.
- We have asked our staff to not attend work if they are not well and we ask the same of you. Please stay home and call to reschedule if you are sick.
- We have further instructed our staff on proper hand washing and other precautions to prevent potential contamination.
- We have removed the toys in our waiting room just to be safe during this epidemic.
- We have spread out seating in the waiting room and will also use our conference room for overflow waiting should we get more than 8 people in the waiting area at a time.
During this time we encourage you to practice good self-care: stay hydrated, get rest, avoid touching your eyes, face, and mouth, sneeze/cough deep into your elbow or into a tissue to avoid the spread of germs, wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds (the time it takes to sing “Happy Birthday” two times), if you use the restroom use a clean paper towel or tissue to open the door after washing. Practice “Social Distancing.” If you feel ill, follow CDC guidelines to get testing.
For the most up to date information on the Coronavirus, please check the Center for Disease Control website: www.cdc.gov
On behalf of everyone at the Albuquerque Speech Language and Hearing Center, we wish you good health and we will strive to be fully open again as soon as possible.
Bill Hill, PhD.